Saturday, April 6, 2024

The Video Angle

Dave and I were out rock climbing at Rat Cave that weekend day. I had just climbed a 5.12- route and had reached the belay station and was preparing to set it up for a rappel.

I glanced down and noticed that Ryan Palo, who also just happened to be there that same day, was just tying into his lead rope and was about to start leading another 5.12 route next to me.

So I called down to my belay partner, "Tie on my camera." He did, and I hoisted the camera up to my position. While Ryan led the entire route, I switched the camera into video mode and pressed the shutter. I just happened to be in the perfect position, watching from above, high at the belay station, where I could video his entire ascent of that route.

Later when I posted the video on the internet it near instantly became a well trending viral popular video for a brief time. My blog got a boost in users, though I did not spend time actual climbing 'with' Ryan -- just happened to be in the right spot to video him lead climbing. No pre-planning, just random lucky moment in the right place.

Now days though, I do considerable high-end photography while out bouldering, and will follow a set of key steps to get the best shots, at the ideal angle, for my photos and videos.