Sunday, September 6, 2026

Sleep talking

 The paragraph in the book goes something like this....


My brother David and I are in the dim lit waiting room just before the surgery for our mother. He says to me....

"Have I ever told you about my first surgery?" Dave asks. I shake my head and lean back. I knew that the operation took place years ago, when Dave owned a consulting firm that specialized in the health care business.

"It was on my foot, and they put me under local anesthesia. I was awake, but loopy, and later I had the feeling that I had talked through-out the surgery. When I saw the surgeon two weeks later for a checkup I asked him, "Was I talking during the surgery?" "

"Yes you were," he said.

I said, "Really? What did I say?"

He said, "You seemed to be making a presentation about the future of doctor income. We were all very interested."

"Did I talk the whole time?" I asked him.

"Oh Yes," he said, "and at the end of the discussion you opened it up for questions."


Quote from the book Life Reimagined by Barbara Bradley Hagerty